[mythtv-users] Jumpy playback with PVR-250?

Scott Pouliot spouliot at scpsoftware.net
Fri Jan 16 11:40:18 EST 2004

Not sure what the problem could be here, but I setup my Myth box probably 2
weeks ago....and everything has been fine thus far.  Now today, while I'm
watching either recordings or Live TV.....it starts skipping really badly
every 2 or 3 minutes.  The video and audio both start going REAAAAALLLLY
slow almost like every other frame is being played with a pause in between.
Very odd...

I know the PVR-250 doesn't have a decoder for playback, but no recording is
going on in the background at this point in time (other than the standard
live TV buffering).  I've got my Live TV Recording profile set to MPEG2-PS
with a bit rate of 2200 (max 4400)...audio set to 48.  Pretty low compared
to the defaults (I think?)

My hardware:

Dell Dimension 4100 - PIII 933 w/ 384MB RAM
20GB Boot Drive
160GB Video Drive
nVidia 32MB Video card (No TV-OUT)
Hauppauge PVR-250 OEM ($88 one from eBay)

If I copy the output files from recorded shows and view them on my Windows
XP box....everything is fine.  So it almost sounds like a CPU issue?  Since
I'm a Windows guy at heart (but trying to convert) I'm not up on too much
task troubleshooting in Linux yet....

Any ideas?

Scott