[mythtv-users] System Spec Survey

David jeske jeske at chat.net
Fri Jan 16 13:59:44 EST 2004

-- Rolando Nieves wrote:
> Ok, so my last message was a bit winded ... I'll get to the point
on
> this one. If you have successfully fielded a MythTV box using
either
> an MJPEG card or a framegrabber and encoding to RTJPEG in MythTV,
and
> you're satisfied with the results, I would definitely appreciate a
> short description of the hardware you used to build the Myth box.
> CPU, Mobo, and HD should be enough. I'm just trying to determine
what
> kind of a system I need to field a MythTV box using the Pinnacle
> DC10+ card without "prebuffering pause"s every 5 seconds.

I'm running on a P4-2.4ghz, 512MB. My initial setup was with an ATI
TV Wonder VE. Initially my setup would pause every 2-3 minutes. I was
using RTJpeg and the CPU was always 80% idle. I simply increased the
process priority of the mythfrontend and the problem went away.

nice -10 mythfrontend

Now I'm running a PVR-250 alongside the ATI TV Wonder, and I'm about
65% idle using rtjpeg while doing two records and one playback.

I experimented with using direct to MPEG-4 encoding instead of
RTJpeg, but the results were not good. The cpu was 40% idle, but I
couldn't get rid of the pauses/stutter. In comparison, if I
mythtranscode at the lowest process priority, the transcoder will
take 85-95% of the cpu and the playback does not stutter at all.