[mythtv-users] Backend CPU loading

stan stanb at panix.com
Sat Jan 17 11:08:02 EST 2004

I have buit a "proof of concept" mythtv machine (starting wiht teh KoppMYTH
CD) on a macine that has a 900MHZ Athalon, and a plain non acelerated WinTV
card. I'm ablr ro record, and playback, using RTJpeg at 480x480. I cannot
do "live TV" with this setup, as it does not have enough CPU power, ar
least with these settings.

So, this morning, I took the KnoppMYTH CD, and fired up a seperate frontend
to see if that would help the situation. Now, my home network is a 10 Meg
one, so I suspected this might be a problem, and it appears that it is, at
best, slightly strained while playing back to the remote machine.

What suprised me, however, was that while playing live TV, the backend
still seemed to ab at 100% CPU utilization.

Given that my final design is a backend machine with 2 to 3 capture cards
(PVR-250's I'm thinking), with 2 or 3 front end playback machines, I am
starting to wonder what power of CPU I'm going to need for the "production"
backend?

One more question, if I put a WinTV card in the front end machines, can I
use it for picture in picture of live TV, while playing back from the
MythTV backend?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin