[mythtv-users] RE:System Spec Survey

Mark Frey markfrey at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 17 13:34:36 EST 2004

Rolando wrote:
>Thanks to everybody that replied. I would like to use the Pinnacle and take
>advantage of the hardware encoding of the card but since it generates too
>much data (between 60-120K per frame) and my hard drives seem to be
>throttling the system (profiling revealed communication between backend and
>frontend seems to top out at 2.5MB/s*), I'll have to use another capture
>card. Hopefully the PVR-250 I ordered recently helps in the data flow area
>(6000Kbit/s for DVD-quality video should be less than 1MB/s between backend
>and frontend).
>
>Again, thanks for all the replies.
>
>Rolando.
>
>* With the frontend "RemoteFile" class receiving 64k blocks of data from the
>back end in about 25ms. Most of the delay was caused by the backend reading
>the data off disk. Maybe I should hack Myth a bit and amortize the read time
>per 64k block using bigger block reads? hmmm...

 This has already been done in CVS. Either building from CVS or waiting for .14 will help this. Block sizes now are either 128k, or 256k for higher bit rates. Before the changes I had prebuffering pauses at RTJpeg, 480x480, quality 170. Post changes I have no pauses at RTJpeg, 640x480, quality 210.

-Mark