[mythtv-users] Basic concepts question

stan stanb at panix.com
Mon Jan 19 22:37:41 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:10:57PM -0500, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> stan wrote:
>
> >Can anyomne point to some docs, or provide me with help in understanding
> >what functions are done by what peices of MythTV?
> >
> >What is done by a "master backend"/ What is done by a non master backend?
> >

> A master backend controls one or more slave backends.

OK, so what does the master backend do that the slave's don't do?

> >What is done by the frontend?
> >
> A frontend is the gui portion of Myth.  i.e. The part you use to view
> recordings, watch TV, listen to music.
>
> >If I ahve a master backend, and one or more
> >non master backends, can the master use the non masters for recording
> >shows?
> >
> Yes
>
> >Can I move files between master and non master backends?
> >
> Hmmm I'm not sure where the files live in that setup I don't run it.
>
> >How about to frontends?
> >

> You don't move files from the backends to the frontend(s), recordings /
> live TV are streamed to them.

What if I don't ave suficent backend CPU to decompress the files, and do
the other things it needs to do> Or I don't have suficent network badnwith
to stream over? BTW how much _is_ that?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin