[mythtv-users] Manually trascoding recordings?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 20 16:44:45 EST 2004

Quoting David jeske <jeske at chat.net>:

> -- stan wrote:
> > I've got some recordings (.nuv files_ that were recorded in RTJpeg.
> > want to be able to play these on a Windows machine. I think I cna
> > do this, if I transcode them to MPEG4, right?
>
> You also need to use nuvexport:
>
> http://forevermore.net/mythtv/files/
>
> MythTV stores all video recordings in a .nuv wrapper. If you want to
> play it on windows, you need to convert it to a regular
> mpeg2/mpeg4/divx file.
I don't know about other codecs, but when recording MPEG2 from an ivtv board,
there is no such thing as a ".nuv wrapper" - It's simply an MPEG2 program stream
(or transport stream if you chose that setting) with a .nuv file extension.
Just rename it to .mpg.

Anything recorded with a DVB board or the pcHDTV will likely be a raw MPEG-2
transport stream.  Rename it to .ts or .tp and most programs will recognize it
as what it is.