[mythtv-users] Burning DVDs, and the recordedmarkup table

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 20 19:40:35 EST 2004

Quoting Ted Serreyn <ted at serreyn.com>:

> Could you give an example pipe with the PVR350 to dvd?  I would like to put
> an option on my menu to write a recorded TV show (s) to a DVD for my wife
> watch on her tv or laptop of choice?
>
> Any other special settings to record the dvd stream?
I suggest setting the recording type to DVD in the recording profiles menu.  You
can get away with a regular program stream as long as all of your other settings
are DVD-compliant.

You will need dvdauthor (to provide mpeg2desc and dvdauthor) and mjpegtools (to
provide mplex)

The basic script I have to burn to DVD is the following:
-----------------
#!/bin/sh

mkfifo aud0
mkfifo vid0
mkfifo dvdmpg

mpeg2desc -a0 < $1 > aud0 &
mpeg2desc -v0 < $1 > vid0 &
mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg aud0 vid0 &
dvdauthor -o $2 -f dvdmpg
dvdauthor -o $2 -T
------------
Which will take the file specified as the first argument and use it to create a
DVD-compliant filestructure in the subdirectory specified as the second argument.

e.g. ivtvtodvd.sh foo.nuv foo
where foo.nuv is your recording and foo is an empty directory.

It's possible to extract the cutlist from MythTV and use this to mark chapter
boundaries.

If you want to cut out commercials, you will need the absolute latest CVS
version of avidemux.  (In fact that version isn't guaranteed to work, I made
more changes that are going to take some time to get into CVS.  My patches are
in the forums at http://avidemux.tuxfamily.org/)

I have my own question to the list:  Is there any way to regenerate the
recordedmarkup DB entries for a recording from the recorded file?  For example,
if I use avidemux to cut out commercials and remultiplex a file, it would be
nice to re-index the MPEG.