[mythtv-users] using replay's hardware

Jim Chandler jim at n0vh.org
Tue Jan 20 21:39:28 EST 2004

I just bought one of these from Circuit City for $70 AR.  Here is the
scoop:

- Works great with the videos recorded on my MythTV box via the PVR-250s
- REQUIRES a Win 2000/XP computer to act as it's server (Hauppauge, write
a Linux version!!!)
- The MediaMVP itself runs Linux and has a hardware decoder.

I've just started testing, but this shows real promise as a cheap front
end.  I have an SMB share of my video directory.  I need to work on a Perl
script that creates symbolic links to the nuv file with a sane name and a
.mpg at the end.  This is needed for the MediaMVP to recognize it as an
mpeg file.  It shows the JPG files in my pictures directory just fine.  It
will only recognize MP3 format for the music, so I might have to re-encode
my CDs again, if I want this functionality.

Sure you won't be able to have all the MythTV functions a normal frontend
does, but with an existing 2000/XP box somewhere on the network, its a
good cheap alternative to a full blown MythTV frontend.

Jim

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:23:08 -0600
"Kevin Kuphal" <kevin.kuphal at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> Have you looked at devices like: