[mythtv-users] using replay's hardware

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 20 22:43:13 EST 2004

Quoting Jim Chandler <jim at n0vh.org>:

> I just bought one of these from Circuit City for $70 AR.  Here is the
> scoop:
>
> - Works great with the videos recorded on my MythTV box via the PVR-250s
> - REQUIRES a Win 2000/XP computer to act as it's server (Hauppauge, write
> a Linux version!!!)
> - The MediaMVP itself runs Linux and has a hardware decoder.
>
> I've just started testing, but this shows real promise as a cheap front
> end.  I have an SMB share of my video directory.  I need to work on a Perl
> script that creates symbolic links to the nuv file with a sane name and a
> .mpg at the end.  This is needed for the MediaMVP to recognize it as an
> mpeg file.  It shows the JPG files in my pictures directory just fine.  It
> will only recognize MP3 format for the music, so I might have to re-encode
> my CDs again, if I want this functionality.
>
> Sure you won't be able to have all the MythTV functions a normal frontend
> does, but with an existing 2000/XP box somewhere on the network, its a
> good cheap alternative to a full blown MythTV frontend.
$70 after rebate???

HACK TOY!  :)

People have already made some progress into hacking them.  I believe someone has
already gotten a Linux-based server working, although limited to use with VDR (a
recorded dedicated to the Linux DVB cards)

http://www.rst38.org.uk/mediamvp/

It might be possible to create a MythTV-specific server for it...

My wallet feels impending pain to the tune of $70.