[mythtv-users] kde-redhat repo, double packages, gtk+, redhat-artwork (was: ...)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jan 21 05:36:34 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:15:22PM -0800, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2004, at 18:10, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> >On Jan 20, 2004, at 8:35 AM, Darren Mak wrote:
> > > I followed your guide to the T up until this point, so unless
> > > some of the Fedora options I chose setup that repo I have not
> > > idea how that got there.
> > > Might you be able to point me in the direction to fix this?
> >
> > I've got a freshly installed FC box I'm in the process of updating
> > everything on, so I'll keep a lookout for that one. Like Jim
> > suggested, it may be something that came from a repo Axel just
> > added to his default apt sources.list, as he has a new release as
> > of yesterday....
>
> Okay, I'm seeing some of those fdr packages now. They're coming from
> apt.kde-redhat.org, and they are broken as all get out... It looks
> like they were just added, and not fully tested.

Well, I tested kde-redhat on compatibility with ATrpms and it seemed
OK. The problems you are facing are not cross repo problems, but
temporary problems of the kde-redhat repo. Note that kde-redhat is a
rather old and mature repo otherwise, and I am including it in ATrpms'
default config because it is of real value. :)

> My system now has multiple copies of at least one rpm installed now
> for some reason... Axel?  (cc'ing Axel directly) Who should we be
> talking to about these tanked packages? Rex Dieter, I assume, but I
> don't see contact info for him (and I have no urge to join another
> mailing list at the moment ;-)...

I am Ccing the kde-redhat list. Rex Dieter is certainly the main actor.

> Right off the bat, before even getting to the mythtv-suite install, I'm
> getting a gtk+ package sucked in, and it fails some part of its %post,
> and the end result is two gtk+ packages installed. I have yet to get to
> the redhat-artwork problem.

Yes, indeed there are some reports of double packages in the
kde-redhat list and your explanation makes very much sense.

> For now, I'd rpm -e the conflicting packages, comment out
> apt.kde-redhat.org in /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update and try
> installing mythtv-suite again.

I believe the redhat-artwork problem has been fixed by now, possibly
also the gtk+ %post problem.

Note that if all you want is only mythtv, you need no further repo
than ATrpms and Red Hat's os and updates stuff. But if you like to
have a variety of software to choose from, kde-redhat is very valuable
(especially to users of KDE software, who would have guessed ;)

Thanks for the reports and sorry for the breakage! Please Cc the
kde-redhat list as I do, if you have information Rex and friends
should know.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de