[mythtv-users] scheduling priority inversion...show me what a record will do!

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jan 23 00:26:34 EST 2004

David Jeske wrote:
> Today mythtv did something very strange.
>
> I have two "record any time on this channel" recordings. One is +5,
> one is +4.  Not realilzing they were all at the same time, I put in a
> single-show record at the same time. I have two tuners. The trouble
> is, it dropped the +5 show!

Yes, this can happen. It only prioritizes card 1. If +5 is
on 1 and +4 is on 2 and a new single record comes along, if
it beats the +5, cards 2 is seen as busy so +5 loses.

> Of course this seems like some kind of odd priority inversion bug,
> and I think someone else already wrote about it. However, my point is
> different.

Probably me and I anticipate your point is the instant
warning...

> The frustration here wasn't because it did something I didn't expect.
> The frustration was that I didn't know this was what it was going to
> do. I try to periodically check conflicts, and I never say anything
> in the conflicts screen about it not recording the +5 show. I'll
> swear that it said it was going to record it.
>
> In this area, I was much happer with Tivo, because it would simply
> tell me what todo alterations a change would incur. If I didn't like
> the alterations, I would avoid making the change.

But changes aren't engraved in stone =). The warning you
mention I find lacking in two ways. First, it may tell you
that it conflicts with "College Basketball" but it doesn't
show you what subtitle/description to base your choice on.
You may have to leave, find the details, re-find the the
show and choose. Second, you can only decide on the schedule
as it stands and you are not warned of a show you want re-
scheduled later for the same time slot. A variation is that
you won't know if a timeslot opens up later and you could
have gotten something that you wanted.

> In Myth, when I'm trolling the program guide and I see a neat looking
> show, I have to look at the time and try to remember my recordings to
> get an idea of whether or not it'll kick something out.

I'd go ahead and schedule it then look at the conflicts
page to make my choice for that show and the show around
it (different lengths and starttimes, priority for which
gets the best card, etc.).

> Mythtv can tell me this, but it doesn't.

With a single tuner scheduler it may be that simple but
with multiple tuners, it may have to re-run the scheduler
to determine what might actually be excluded if the new
show was added. Overlapping shows of different lengths
may fit together in another order so either it would have
to make a 'what-if' run or you could add it and see the
result. I think the latter is more practical.

One other point about 'remember'. With other systems, the
scheduled recordings are on one page and the noRecords are
on another. To find out if you are missing something you
need to look for it on the other page, remember what it is
and when then go back to the schedule page and figure out
what you want.

The MythTV conflicts page puts both in front of you on the
same page so you do not have to remember anything from anywhere
else. It also show the numbers and letter to give you a better
idea of what is happening and why. This is why I suggest that
you mark everything to record then look at the conflicts page.
You can change your mind from there.

So, I think it is a matter of habits. I've used several types
of systems extensively and I believe that mythtv > 0.13 is
already the most flexible and easiest to manipulate it to do
exactly what you want, and with more improvements on the way.

--  bjm