[mythtv-users] Tuner Card w/ Svideo Inputs & PCI Sound Transfer

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Fri Jan 23 03:28:21 EST 2004

> Van: Ian Neubert <ian at ianneubert.com>
> Aan: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Onderwerp: [mythtv-users] Tuner Card w/ Svideo Inputs & PCI Sound
Transfer
> Datum: vrijdag 23 januari 2004 01:35
>
> I'm working on setting up a large MythTV backend with 4 analog tuners and
1
> HDTV tuner. To save on PCI slots & PCs I want to load them all up in one
> box.
>
> So the big questions: Are there any input cards that have inputs for (at
> least) S-video & analog audio left & right (ideally audio would input
from
> an optical S/PDIF) and will send the stereo audio through the PCI
interface
> to be recorded? And will this card work with 4 of them in one PC?
>
> I'm trying to avoid needing a seperate soundcard for each tuner, and
> consolidate everything on a single server. Any thoughts?

You want to steer 4 analog framegrabbers via one PCI bus? I'm not entierly
shure, but I think you 'might' need some server hardware with seperate (or
faster) PCI busses.

You should know that (AFAIK) only about 3 seconds(!) of uncompressed DVD
resolution video will fit on a on a CD (a 650MB). That is a heck of a lot
data. You will probably grab at a little bit lower value, but most PCI
busses are already pretty saturated with only 2 framegrabbers on the same
bus.

Be sure that you get a mother board with every onboard perifial (Ethernet,
USB, FireWire and possibly Sound & VGA) wired to the AGP bus (or whatever
fastt internal bus your chipset uses). You don't want anything wanting to
grab the PCI for too long.

Then CPU, my Celeron 2.4GHz is chugging at 40% when encoding to MPEG4 at
640x480, this value might be higher than you will grab, but I like to
preserve the crispness of my PAL cable signal ( :P ). I can't think of
fitting 4 x 40% in 100%... (btw, you should know I'm still tweaking)

IMHO, your setup won't work... Splitting it up into 2 backends (and
preferably a seperate frontend) would do.

	Henk Poley <><