[mythtv-users] Artifacts on live TV...

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sat Jan 24 03:12:08 EST 2004

> Van: Daniel Jimenez <djimenez at mail.com>

> I am having some artifacts show up while watching live TV. The
> following are my specs:
>
> <snip nothing about recording settings>
>
> The artifacts don't always happen, so it's hard to tell if it's just
> on the front end or if it's also on the backend.

I think it might help if you also posted your recording settings
(somewhere like setup -> tv settings -> recording -> .. -> LiveTV)

And what about your TV? On a very big screen artifacts may be more visible.

You athlons should be able to do a standard MPEG4 at 640x480 just easely.
(standard MPEG4 encoding settings for mythtv are something like, bitrate:
2200, min/max quality: 2/15, max. frame quality diff: 3)

And please describe the kind of artifacts.

flimmering backgrounds? like if big squares are drawn in slightly different
colors. up your recording quality a bit.
slightly visible stripes? you might want to set your recording res. to your
video res.
etc.

> My worry is the low video ram in the Savage ProSavageDDR... That
> wouldn't cause it would it?

That shouldn't be the case. But maybe somebody here can tell some bad woes
about this card?

	Henk Poley <><