[mythtv-users] Working Nova-T DVB-T systems?

Simon at the Threshold dweller at the-threshold.org
Sat Jan 24 04:37:15 EST 2004

Ivor Hewitt wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2004 22:57, Simon at the Threshold wrote:
>
>>Looks like either I ditch fedora or wait for the Fedora Core 2 which is
>>2.6 based.. I might have a go with the latest Fedora Core 2 test system
>>last time I tried it hung during bootup.. <Wince>
>>

> Um , why not just run an newer up-to date kernel?

A very good question I'm sure because I'm used to redhat distributions
of rpms and I suspect that building an alien kernel will probably result
in breaking things a lot.

Saddly I have a single computer at home, its used for email and surfing
but its also connected to the internet via broadband and run sereral
virtual domains worth of email and web services. I also run windoze 2000
in a vmware session, vmware is a little sensitive to changing kernels
going to 2.6 will for certain break this feature.

So basicly everytime I go through a revolution of "playing" I loose all
of those things.  The advantange to running Redhat stuff is that its a
lot more stable than the latest and greated bleeding edge stuff and thus
its easier to setup and quicker to install. Its limitations are that its
old and you have to wait an age for the latest and greatest to get into
it.   For example I had to wait 2 monthes for a new version of the
fedora core before it supported VIA-SATA drives.

As with many s/w oriented things in the past I've "under estimated" the
ammount of time and effort needed to get a "home-rolled" application
working. I suspect I need to invest in a second machine so I can safely
play without it effecting other services..

I'd be glad to hear any suggestions on feedback, techniqes, other
distributions or horror stories about getting setup though.

Thanks
Simon

--
The idle mind knows not what it is it wants.
		-- Quintus Ennius