[mythtv-users] Jarod's guide: Unresolved symbols/Nvidia

mjs_mythtv mjs_mythtv at spamex.com
Sat Jan 24 20:17:10 EST 2004

First, allow me to curse Nvidia for their stupid drivers that
cannot be included in the default source tree >:^[  It seems
that all of the problems I have had with this new nForce board
are purely related to getting the stupid drivers to work...

Anyway, I'm attemping to follow Jarod's guide for doing a MythTV
install on Fedora Core.  I am at stage 7 of the guide, right after
I installed the new AT kernel and rebooted.  As per the guide, I
am trying to rebuild the Nvidia drivers against the new kernel
and no matter which build method I try (using the rpmbuild that
worked earlier in the guide or just trying to build the tarball
by hand) I keep getting unresolved symbols.

Things to note:

Since the network on the box in question is not working, I'm
transcribing all this info by hand, thus there may be a typo or
two.

The rpmbuild --rebuild from step #5 worked fine (using the stock
Fedora kernel).

I could not do the apt-get for the kernel in step #7, so I
downloaded the latest RPM and installed the source and kernel
via RPM -Uvh.

Kernel: kernel-BOOT-2.4.22-1.2163.nptl_32.rhfc1.at.i386.rpm
Source: kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2163.nptl_32.rhfc1.at.i386.rpm
Nvidia: nvidia_nforce_10_0261src.rpm (from nvidia's site)

Example error from the "rpmbuild --rebuild nvidia_nforce_10_0261src.rpm":
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2163.nptl_32.rhfc1.atBOOT/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o

I get the same error from a manual build when I do a make install.

Anyway, this is a virgin install that has followed Jarod's guide
except for the rpm-instead-of-apt-get I mentioned above.  Hopefully
that's enough info, but if I can provide something else, just let
me know.

Does anyone know what's going on here?  Anything other than the
fact that the Nvidia driver install process sucks, that is ;^)

Thanks!
Mike