[mythtv-users] anyone experimented with fair io scheduling?

David Jeske jeske at chat.net
Sun Jan 25 18:16:11 EST 2004

While I'm doing a DVDrip, video playback stutters pretty badly. The
CPU usage on the machine is zilch. With the disk light solidly on the
entire time, it's clear that the DVDripper is using up tons of IO
time and that's what stutters the playback.

I'm not in a hurry for the rip to occur, so it would be nice if it
could just be a better citizen and share the disk. I started poking
around and found some articles talking about "fair io scheduling"
patches. Has anyone experimented with this?

It looks like one "completely fair queueing" patch was made last year
against 2.5.60. It's unclear whether there is a newer one or not.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/580

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&threadm=pvu2.5Zy.47%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=1