[mythtv-users] System Lock Up?

apt22 at drexel.edu apt22 at drexel.edu
Mon Jan 26 00:44:20 EST 2004

Hi-
My system has been getting all locked up and basically freezing allowing
me to do absolutely nothing except hit the hard power switch.  At first
I thought it was a Myth issue, but after trying different things, I am
not sure what is causing the problem.  Here are my machine specs and
details of this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated:
    Athlon XP 2700/512MB/GeForce4 MX/Hauppauge 250
    Gentoo 2.4.22-r5/IVTV 0.1.9
Once upon a time I was running Myth 0.12, basically no problems, I
bought a new HD and decided I would benefit from LVM, so I nuked
everything.  Re-installed everything, this time Myth 0.13 b/c it was
released and I thought I'd upgrade to keep current.  Myth 0.13 was
giving me all sorts of problems after scouring the net and forums, I
found a poster with similar problems and Isaac replied telling him to
upgrade to Myth CVS to fix them.  I followed this advise, installed CVS
and just as Isaac said, everything was working.  After 1-2 days running,
my machine started freezing up, nothing actually crashes, just freezes
and doesn't respond to anything(keystrokes, SSH terminal, etc).  Logs
report nothing interesting.  One thing I've noticed is that the CAPS
LOCK and SCROLL LOCK lights on my keyboard flash repeatedly forever
until I power the box down.  So, I figured it was probably a CVS bug or
something, I uninstalled all Myth components(including nuking database)
and switched back to Myth 0.12(which previously I had no problems
with).  After running this version for a day and a half, the same thing
started to occur.

So, basically, my question is whether anyone else has seen this kind of
thing and if anyone had a guess at what was causing this and how I might
go about further trouble-shooting/fixing?

Thanks in advance,
Drew