[mythtv-users] Re:Question on software RAID

Martin Smith martin at spamcop.net
Mon Jan 26 04:44:57 EST 2004

Dave Zanetti Wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Peter Loron wrote:
>
>> Once I construct a software RAID-5 under Linux, is it possible to later
>> expand the array with more disks without erasing the contents? I'm
>> trying to plan for my Myth box...
>
> Nope.

There's a utility called raidreconf that can allgedly do this. Whether you'd
risk using it is another question and I haven't tried it myself:

http://unthought.net/raidreconf/

> But, you could use a LVM on top of the RAID-5 set, and when you want more
> disk added, create another RAID-5 set and add it to the LVM.

True, but this requires another 3 disks of course.

Personally I'd recommend using LVM regardless of the underlying disk
arrangement. It's just so much more flexible.

Martin