[mythtv-users] Rethinking Xbox-Myth

Bill Bradley wbradley at bham.rr.com
Mon Jan 26 11:27:36 EST 2004

>Dennis Cartier wrote:

> Richie Jarvis wrote:
>

>>>I looked at the distro, and it consistantly refers to 0.11 & 0.12 - I
>>>am running 0.13 on my backend atm.  Also, the method for getting it
onto
>>>the xbox seemed a little vague.
>>

>> 0.13 is on the website (and was announced on this list).
>
>Yeah - I just found it - it is missing on one of the mirrors (the one I
>picked - d'oh!) - Thanks....

>Incidentally, regarding ftp'ing to the box - when should this be done?
>Are you supposed to boot into emergency linux after the mechinstaller has
>done its trick, and just slap the files onto the /mnt/E drive?

>Thats the bit I don't quite understand.....

>Cheers,

>Richie

Yes...that is correct.  Just load the Emergency Linux , then ftp the image
files over to the xbox on the /mnt/E drive.  You will have to use a
crossover cable.  Once you reboot the xbox, you just choose linux from the
dash and it all starts up.    You might want to configure the /etc files
before sending them to the xbox.  That way everything comes up ready to go
(mysql connection to backend, network interfaces, etc.)  . In addition you
may want to modify your .xinitrc to fix the overscan issue (black bars
around the border), mount network shares, and create a symbolic link for
the dvd player.  Here is what I have added to mine:

mount -t smbfs -o username=foo,password=xxxx //winblozeXP/share /mnt/vid
ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd
xbv -auto 640 480 6.0 6.0
xvattr -a XV_DOUBLE_BUFFER -v 0

Hope this helps.