[mythtv-users] Stability and quality questions

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Jan 26 17:32:19 EST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Torsten Schenkel wrote:

> the decoded video via the 350's TV out. So essentially that's an Xv
> equivalent. It's not in the driver yet and I won't hold my breath. It
> will be sometime after the 0.2. version. Mind, I'm not an ivtv developer
> myself. Arvi from the MPlayer team has already announced an mplayer
> patch to support the 350 when this feature is in the driver.

Ah, that's really cool then - a 350 is now on my shopping list when I have
some spare cash. :)
A quick comment though - it'll be nice if the driver provides some way of
syncing with the VBI correctly when doing YUV output (which I believe only
the nVidia drivers do ATM).  Watching interlaced video when not
synchronised isn't such fun. :-/

> IIUC the ivtv driver is made for absolutely undocumented hardware (from
> what I heard it's not Hauppauge that's to blame but Conexant. IIRC
> Hauppauge donated a PVR350 the the project, there's rumours  about a
> driver version that had debugging in it :-) )

:)
I must say that I'm getting more and more disappointed with hardware
manufacturers making their hardware practically unusable by never
supplying technical details - I remember buying off the shelf hardware
that had full programming manuals available for free, whcih is practically
unheard of these days :(
(I've still got the relatively huge Creative Soundblaster 2.0 programming
manual kicking around somewhere).  IMHO you pay for the hardware and the
drivers are just there to make it work, not the other way around, so the
tech specs should always be published.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/