[mythtv-users] Kind of offtopic - how do you make a DVD under linux?

Ajay Sharma ssharma at amntv.com
Mon Jan 26 20:12:19 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 12:56, Shawn Asmussen wrote:
> Brian Johnson said:
> > What programs are recommended for someone wanting to convert VCR tapes to
> > DVD?
> >
> > I have a DVD writer and a video capture card that works with video4linux
> > drivers .. now I need some apps
> >

> Well, if you want to do it through your mythtv box, the capturing part
> would probably be fairly easy. You could just run the ouput of your vcr to
> the input of your tuner card, and setup a manual recording for the
> duration of the vcr tape, and then just play the tape. That would get your
> vcr tapes onto the computer without any software other than mythtv itself
> required. As for burning it to a dvd, I'm not really sure what the best
> way to go would be. The other day though, I was looking at a program
> called mkdvd on Freshmeat that I thought might be a promising start for a
> plugin to save off shows to dvd. I haven't tried it out yet, but according
> to the description, it can convert files to vob format, then write
> multiple videos to a dvd and generate a simple dvd menu to select between
> them. If it works well, it could be perfect for archiving mythtv shows to
> dvd.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/mkdvd/?topic_id=127

I've used mkdvd and it works, but it's DAMN SLOW.  I have an Athlon
1900+ and transcoding about a hour of video took four days.  No joke,
FOUR DAYS.  But at the end of the whole process, I had a DVD ISO that I
burned with k3b.

Someone posted a howto on the Gentoo forums for how to burn a DVD using
Linux tools:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117709

Obviously it's a little gentoo specific but the programs are the same.

later,
ajay