[mythtv-users] Need more storage? 80GB for $20!

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Mon Jan 26 20:38:11 EST 2004

Harry Orenstein wrote:

> OfficeMax in their current ad (starts on
> Sunday) has the 80GB WD 8MB cache
> hard drive for $20 AR (WD800JB).

Well I was there when they opened - #5 in line.  And didn't get a drive.

Our town of 160,000 tech-oriented people (NASA is here) got three of
these hard drives at the local store.  There were about 20 people
waiting when the doors opened.

Sure I got a rain check, but was told they aren't sure if or when they
will get any more.

Now I remember why I don't shop at OfficeMax...

I did pick up one of the 64MB USB flash drives $10 after rebate - says
on the pack it works in Linux, but despite the fact I use another USB
drive on my Mandrake, this one refused to be recognized.  Worked fine in
XP and 98 though.  Mandrake never even created the /dev/sda1 (or
/dev/sdb1 or anything similar).  Typically I plug in a USB flash drive
and Mandrake auto creates a /dev/sda1 and mounts it at /mnt/removable.

Strike two...