[mythtv-users] Stability and quality questions

Blues Guy bluesguy_1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 21:48:49 EST 2004

> I would like to agree with Will on this one,
>
> The pundit is a beautiful case with a ton of good
> features and so far the
> Myth install has been quite straightforward using
> Jarod's install
> guide.

I agree, but other's have called the Pundit very
quiet.  Something such as noise can be very
subjective, and in my opinion, it's not quiet.
Quieter than the average PC, certainly, but much
noiser than say a notebook computer.  I put my pundit
behind solid wood doors in my TV stand, and ran a
vantec stealth 12v 80mm fan
(http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/vantecstealthfans.php)
 at 8.7v (12v positive, 3.3v as ground off the ATX
header) to get some venting.  Now that's quiet.

> Only downside I have seen so far is the less than
> delicate way you need
> bend and push to get a PVR 350 card installed.
> (BTW, anyone running a pvr
> 350 & 250 in this case???, will they fit without
> bending the edge of the
> case beyond recognition?)

I originally ran two 250's in my pundit,
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=100592)
and then swapped out one of the 250's for a 350.  Both
required the same amount of creative case molding to
make them fit.  After install however, you wouldn't
even notice I bent it...

And with the myth .13 and the ivtv 0.1.9 drivers, it's
mostly stable (as long as you don't use the EPG).

> Will,  Can you email me (dwanamak at rogers.com), I
> have a couple of questions
> for you if you have the time about how to set up tv
> out on the pundit.
>
> Damon.
>

> At 11:45 AM 1/26/2004, you wrote:
> >At 05:21 PM 1/26/2004 +0100, you wrote:
> > >* And a somewhat off-topic question: Is the Asus
> Pundit really quiet, enough
> > >to leave it always running in the living room?
> >

> >Yes.  And the pundit makes a great machine for a
> MythTV machine.  The SIS
> >chipset is rock solid.   I can't remember the last
> time that I've had any
> >system crash or other instability.

With the two PVR-250's and the older 0.1.7 drivers
this was a rock solid configuration for me.  Perfect
uptime, no crashes.