[mythtv-users] Kind of offtopic - how do you make a DVD under linux?

Chris Delis cedelis at uillinois.edu
Wed Jan 28 01:53:35 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:39:53AM -0500, Dwaine Garden wrote:
> Andrew Dodd wrote:
>
> >Quoting Chris Delis <cedelis at uillinois.edu>:

> >>It does?  I don't follow... I can make DVDs in a matter of a few minutes.
> >>IIRC, I have found a few working methods from searching the myth archives.

> >>It takes me a few minutes to setup an image and maybe another few minutes
> >>burn
> >>to plastic.
> >>

> >>The last time I created a DVD, I used this script (most of it was borrowed
> >>from
> >>this very list):
> >>
> >>----------------------------------
> >>#!/bin/sh
> >>dvb-mplex -t DVD -o ${2}.mpg $1
> >>dvdauthor -o $2 ${2}.mpg
> >>dvdauthor -T -o $2
> >>rm ${2}.mpg
> >>sudo mkisofs -dvd-video -o ${2}.img $2
> >>rm -rf $2
> >>sudo ./cdrecord-wrapper.sh dev=0,1,0 -v ${2}.img
> >>----------------------------------
> >>
> >>The only tricky parts for me was to first find and download the dvb
> >>version
> >>of 'mplex' (I got mine from DVB-0.9.tar.gz).  Also, you need a version of
> >>mkisofs that supports the '-dvd-video' option (cdrtools-2.00.3.tar.gz I
> >>think?).
> >>I also encode using stream type: DVD-Special2.
> >>

> >I've had no problem with the plain "dvd" stream type.
> >
> >I've found it easier (and usually more consistent) to use mpeg2desc from
> >dvdauthor to demultiplex the audio/video streams, and mplex from
> >mjpegtools to
> >remultiplex.  I posted a similar script that uses those tools within the
> >past
> >week or two.  It also uses FIFOs instead of files on disk, which VASTLY
> >increases the speed of the process and doesn't require gigs of scratch
> >diskspace.  (Still needs scratch space for the DVD filestructure though,
> >but
> >none for the remultiplexed MPEG that goes into dvdauthor.)
> >
> >_________________________
> >
> Would you mind posting again the script.  I could not find it on the list.

Here's the script that uses pipes (I believe it uses a version of mplex
that is different from 'dvb-mplex'):
------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

mkfifo aud0
mkfifo vid0
mkfifo dvdmpg

mpeg2desc -a0 < $1 > aud0 &
mpeg2desc -v0 < $1 > vid0 &
mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg aud0 vid0 &
dvdauthor -o $2 -f dvdmpg
dvdauthor -o $2 -T

rm aud0
rm vid0
rm dvdmpg

> I also can not find the DVB-mplex software.   The newest version of
> dvb-driver is missing the apps.

I think I noticed this, too (I didn't do an exhaustive search).  I then checked
out the older version DVB-0.9.tar.gz which had ./DVB-0.9/apps/mpegtools/mplex
(I renamed it to dvb-mplex to not confuse with my other version of mplex).
Dunno what others did in this regard.