[mythtv-users] PVR-250 slightly fuzzy picture?

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Jan 28 09:17:33 EST 2004

	Hey all... I got my PVR-250 (rev1) last week, and succeeded in making
it go in a PIII-800 box.  I have been playing with different resolution/bitrate
combinations, but have concluded that the quality is just plain "not quite
there."  The recorded quality (live tv or recorded) is a bit fuzzier than
watching live tv on the same tv.  The tv is a midgrade Hitachi projection, but
I'm sure that the tvout quality is not the problem (excellent quality with
MythVideo or MythDVD).  The resolution/bitrate is not the problem (tried
capturing at lots of sizes/bitrates up through 720x480 @ 8000-10000 Mbps).
The tuner portion of the card is not the problem (tried capturing
composite/svid directly from a dvd player).

	I'm just wondering if it's a software thing, or if the card itself is
simply not capable of recording fairly high quality recordings.  I have
downsized the capture resolution (keeping a very high bitrate), and the quality
seems to level off at about 480x480.  I know that cable signal has about 320
lines (roughly what I'm seeing at 480x480), BUT the whole point is the tv looks
better with the same signal.  If I oversample the hell out of it, I should get
quality approaching the TV.

	Any thoughts?

-Cory
* The prime directive of Linux:  					*