[mythtv-users] Watching recordings in progress

K.R. Foley kr at cybsft.com
Thu Jan 29 08:34:10 EST 2004

Jason G. wrote:
>>>    So, my first question is:  Is this supposed to happen?
>>
>>No. I do that all the time, and I've never had a recording up and stop.
>>Skipping forward gets tedious just after the program stops recording
>>and commercial flagging starts, but no, what you saw shouldn't happen.
>>

>>>(I imagine I'm supposed to
>>>be able to watch (from the beginning) something that's being recorded,
>>>and
>>>that the NFS setup I'm using is borking things up.)
>>
>>No clue. I don't use an NFS setup, but I believe plenty of folks do,
>>and I've never heard of that happening... Try it again, see if you can
>>make it happen again, perhaps it was a one-time fluke.
>

> Bummer, because it's completely repeatable!  :(
>
> I see the following messages on the frontend:
> ----
> 2004-01-28 22:04:42 Connecting to backend server: 172.16.0.9:6543 (try 1 of
> 5)
> Error loading image file:
> /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/default/1012_20040128220000_20040128223000.nu
> v.png
> Input #0, mpeg, from '/mnt/store//1012_20040128220000_20040128223000.nuv':
>   Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x480, 29.97 fps
>   Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 384 kb/s
> Input #0, mpeg, from '/mnt/store//1012_20040128220000_20040128223000.nuv':
>   Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x480, 29.97 fps
>   Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 384 kb/s
> Using the PVR-350 decoder/TV-out
> 2004-01-28 22:04:51 Changing from None to WatchingRecording
> ----

I started having this problem when I upgraded ivtv to 0.1.9 while still
running myth 0.13 from atrpms. However, after upgrading to myth CVS
(from source) as of 01/23/04, this, as well as other problems, went away.

> The backend log doesn't show any messages out of the ordinary.
>
> Back on the frontend, when I try to delete the partial recording, I get the
> following right before it hangs:
>
> 2004-01-28 22:06:37 ReadStringList timeout.
>
> That's something can probably chase down in the code, but I think the reason
> is that the backend has puked.  After restarting the frontend (without
> restarting the backend) a connection to the backend times out when trying to
> watch live TV.
>

>>I've not had a program fail to finish recording in ages, but when I
>>did, there were never any problems like this. Perhaps you've got some
>>disk performance issues...
>

> Could be.  I'll be rebuilding my server over the weekend once the new RAID 5
> system gets here, so perhaps that will help.  I don't get the feeling,
> though, that the server is that burdened, though, as it's just running NFS
> and largely idle (the mythbackend and frontend are on the same box).  I
> think that the only times that recordings haven't succeeded, it's been due
> to this problem.  I have noticed, though, that sometimes the backend
> believes that it's still recording, even though it isn't.  In those cases,
> the frontend doesn't want to play live tv because it believes that a
> recording is in progress.  Restarting the frontend doesn't help.  The
> backend status page (port 6544) even says it's not recording.
>
> I think I'll try grabbing the latest CVS for myth and see what that does for
> me...

I don't know if the above problem is going to be resolved by upgrading,
but I think the first problem might be. I have still had this same
problem after upgrading, sometimes. But it's worth a shot. If upgrading
resolves it, let us know. It has been almost a week since I upgraded.

kr
--
K.R. Foley
kr at cybsft.com