[mythtv-users] Where to buy parts for homebew IR receiver?

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:36:43 EST 2004

>From: peloy at chapus.net (Eloy A. Paris)
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>Subject: [mythtv-users] Where to buy parts for homebew IR receiver?
>Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:47:43 -0500
>
>Guys,
>
>I need to get rid of the keyboard connected to the Myth box in our
>family room. For this I need to build an IR receiver. The problem is
>that there aren't any electronic components shops where I live, so I
>need to buy on-line.
>
>Can people share their experiences regarding where they have bought the
>components for their homebrew IR receivers? Part lists would also be
>nice. I've heard of mouser.com. Anyone has bought stuff from them?
>
>I'm in the US, by the way, so I don't think something like Conrad (in
>Germany) is a good idea.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Eloy.-

There have already been a few suggestions as to where to get
parts for the circuit.  Personally I went to Radio Shack for most
of the parts (not the cheapest, but there are 3 within 1 mile of
my house).

As a slight aside, the following link might be of use:

http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/?partType=section&partName=introduction

The site has the parts list from the simple IR receiver from the
LIRC site as well as pictures and instructions for assembling it.
I found it very useful since they not only give you instructions
but go so far as to tell you exactly how to bend each pin and
lead so that soldering is as easy as possible.

The people who did the website also sell the completed
receiver and, if I'm not mistaken, the finished version is not
significantly more money than the parts would be (I'm a
glutton for punishment, so I built one myself).

-- Harry O.