[mythtv-users] PVR-350 - PAL-I Variant, for use in Ireland?

Lorcan Hamill lh-mythtv at lorcanhamill.com
Sat Jan 31 21:10:40 EST 2004

Keith Davey wrote:
>> But at the simply.co.uk site, I can only find one version of the
>> PVR-350, and it says PAL-B/G.  Did you have to phone them to request
>> the PAL-I version?
>
> I got mine from Dabs.com.

Thanks for the info, but this just keeps getting weirder;
I checked dabs.com just now, and they list the card as PAL-G/B, too.
I was beginning to think that the PAL-G/B version worked with PAL-I
as well, and the labelling and spec sheets were just misleading;
but then I discovered a thread on the ivtv mailing list about someone
who got video and no sound on a 350 in New Zealand.  The thread
says that the UK is PAL-I and NZ is PAL-G/B, and the problem
was a UK (PAL-I) card being used in NZ.  The solution was to
hack the card by replacing the 6MHz ceramic filters that offset
the audio band from the video band with 5.5MHz filters - and then
the card worked perfectly.  The thread ends here, if anyone
is interested:
  http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Jun-2003/msg00042.html

Anyway, at this stage I'm coming to several conclusions, though
I'm not entirely certain of any of them:

1) The UK uses PAL-I, just like Ireland.

2) The UK websites that list their cards as PAL-G/B are just
    plain wrong on that point

3) The only difference between PAL-I and PAL-G/B is the
    audio frequency, so I can maybe hack this card to get it
    working, if I can find the parts

4) The blank screen that I got with the Windows software
    can't be due to the PAL variant, since that should only
    affect audio.

So, I'll see if I can get the card working for video at least
using myth, and then worry about the audio thing.  If I can
get a refund or exchange (or a good offer on ebay!) I'll replace
the card with one from the UK - otherwise I'll get the soldering
iron out...

>> At this stage, I'm almost afraid to buy another version until I
>> know that someone has it working in Dublin - preferably on
>> my street! So, are there any Dubs out there with a working 350? :)
>

> I'm probably not on your street, Dublin will have to do.:)

Are you any good with a soldering iron? :)

I'll post back here again, if there's any progress to report
on this.  In the meantime, thanks again to everyone who replied.
It's 2am, and time I turned in.  Myth installation beckons, tomorrow.

Cheers,

Lorcan