[mythtv-users] New nVidia driver

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Thu Jul 1 06:30:00 EDT 2004

Jim Coates wrote:
>>For HDTV users: this new driver finally supports interlaced modes (i.e.
>>1080i).  Turn off overscan and set your video resolution to 1920x1080;
>>you probably want to leave the GUI resolution at 960x540.  Here's my
>>working modeline:
>

> I'm confused, if you made a 1080i modeline, aren't you changing your gui to
> 1920x1080i?  I don't really get the difference between video resolution and
> gui resolution in X.

I also have a 960x540 (progressive) modeline, and code I've recently
added to Myth allows using one for GUI and the other for video.  This
helps because the progressive mode avoids flicker in the GUI.  (It
helped even more when the alternatives were 1920x540p vs. 960x540p, and
the text in the GUI ended up tall & thin in the preferred video mode.)

BTW, when I wrote my description above I obviously had overscan on the
brain -- I meant "turn of deinterlacing".

-Doug