[mythtv-users] OT: Why are people using Outlook etc. (was: Can'tget remote control to work right)

Graham W. Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Thu Jul 1 18:11:19 EDT 2004

> I have yet to encounter a corporate environment where I wasn't able to

> install, configure & use my own mail client and browser if I wanted
to.

You haven't worked where I work... We don't allow users to install any
software on their PC, we make sure it's locked down tight so that they
can't mess things up... Almost 50% of the Win98 support calls are where
users have installed something and it's broken something else.

After all, it's not their computer... It's a tool supplied by their
employer to enable to perform their job function. Like a filing cabinet,
a stapler, a telephone.

And yes, I have been called a Network Nazi several times, but when
you're responsible for supporting hundreds or thousands of users with
less support staff and less money, I don't really care.

Graham