[mythtv-users] Re: Re: M179 (PVR-250 clone) for $49.99 at SF BayAreaFry's

Dennis Hand 4hands at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 3 09:52:00 EDT 2004

>There is nothing wrong with these cards at all. If your having problems

>then
>

>>it sounds like operator error to me. I own two and they look as good as my
>>PVR-250.
>>
>>-Dennis
>>

> So you have examined "these" exact cards in question and found them
> functioning?

> Why is it people feeled compelled to make sweeping statements like that
> on a sample basis of 1 or 2 units? It is statistically meaningless. "I
> tossed a coin twice and it was heads both times, so it if yours comes up
> tails it must be operator error". I see it on every newsgroup. Blame
> the victim of a bad unit.

> Or was that just flame bait? Guess it worked.

> Tim

When I said "these" I meant M179's. Sorry you misinterpreted that. I had the same problems these other people were having and more, on both units. All you would have to do is read and find out that the M179's were susceptible to driver and firmware issues. These problems are fixed. But for people to come in here and comment "don't buy these cards, stay away, you'de be better off with something else, I heard they weren't any good" doesn't do anybody good when they're trying to make a decision on something. Especially if they've never owned one theirselves. I'm not trying to start a flame war, and maybe "operator error" was a little harsh. If people would just take the time and read, they would more than likely find the answer or come to the most sensible conclusion.

-Dennis