[mythtv-users] M179 (PVR-250 clone) for $49.99 at SF Bay Area Fry's

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Sat Jul 3 12:55:32 EDT 2004

> Message: 24
> Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:20:16 -0400 (EDT)
> From: David Wood <obsidian at panix.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] M179 (PVR-250 clone) for $49.99 at SF Bay
>         Area    Fry's
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> If this is the same (discontinued) m179 I've heard of, you should
> avoid
> it.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-100-003&depa=0
>
> "While I had no problems getting the drivers installed, this card has
> serious problem with reception quality. Wavy bars oscillate across the
> screen during TV viewing."
>
> "Spend some more bucks and get the haupauge card."
>
> http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=pvr_card_id_guide
>
> "...a 1st generation PVR-250 clone, which had a horrible reputation
> due to
> its cheap tuner module."
>
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 rosenbla at uchastings.edu wrote:
>
> > This weekend Fry's ad has M179's for 59.99 - 10 instant rebate (not
> mail in) so is $49.99 at register. I saw them there a few weeks ago
> they were OEM/white box. I don't know if it is San Francisco Area only
> or at other Fry's also.....it might just be the left-overs of that
> E-Bay auction by Avermedia a while back.
> >
> > They are also availible at Fry's website www.outpost.com for $59.99
> >
> > -Brad
I'm in Dallas, Frys has 4 stores here.

My M179 has been in a week now, running MDK10 and thacs rpms,

2.6.7-1.sds.5mdk kernel off thacs, custom build for reiserfs /boot
required, of /boot is on ext2/ext3 the binaries should be fine.
(I don't know what ivtv version it contains, but it works well)

Perfect recordings. No noise. No crashes. Up 7 days.

It recorded a Farscape marathon yesterday. Looks awesome.

If there are any left I'm getting another one payday.

It appears to have the same Phillips tuner my AverTV-sterero has, but
the reception is good on ALL channels on the M179.

The noise issues folks have seen may be MB, power supply or maybe case
combo issues, I have an Antec Lanboy (aluminum) case w/ Antec PS, and an
FIC AU11.