[mythtv-users] Re: M179 (PVR-250 clone) for $49.99 at SF BayAreaFry's

Tim Tait t.tait at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 18:38:36 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Tim Tait wrote:
>
>> So you have examined "these" exact cards in question and found them
>> functioning?
>

> Di you ever stop to consider that it's more likely than not firmware /
> driver issues causing people to have problems?  I can recreate the
> exact same symptoms as described using my PVR250s (two different types
> I might add) by using certain combinations of drivers / firmware.
>
> Ask yourself this:  Which is more likely?  The manufacturer sold a
> bunch of cards that didn't even come close to working as capture cards
> (but work for a lot of people) or some people have had software /
> cable issues and blamed it on the hardware.

Of course I considered it. My point was the maybe there are some bad
revs, bad units, bad firmware who knows. It can happen. Some products
are known to have very poor quality control. I've experienced it before
- return them and the new one is fine. Or maybe it's compatibility
problems. The PVR350 uses the same chip and seems to have far fewer
problems. But just saying "mine works so it must be you" is not helpful.
Sharing driver configs, card rev info - that's helpful.

(all done on this thread)

Tim