[mythtv-users] nvidia new drivers hdtv/interlacing, any benefit for us non HDTV people?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sun Jul 4 03:35:09 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 03:33:12PM -0400, William wrote:
> > Are there any benefits ie better tv out quality if I change
> > from my current
> > settings to the new drivers with any of these
> > options/modelines, or is that
> > stuff just for people with HDTV's?
>
> You should benefit from it as you will no longer have to deinterlace the
> picture to remote the interlacing artifacts. This should provide a sharper
> picture since there is less video processing.

I think you should see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/75514?do=post_view_threaded#75514

which explains that this isn't true.

The TV out of your video card should be interlaced anyway; your TV
requires it. The interlaced modes would only affect VGA or DVI output.

I did try a 50 Hz interlaced mode with the new driver and there was no
obvious difference at all. (I'm using PAL output because I'm in
Australia.)

Hamish