[mythtv-users] RE: nvidia new drivers hdtv/interlacing, any benefit for us non HDTV people?

Michael Wright mikewright at iprimus.com.au
Sun Jul 4 08:58:11 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 19:33, Chris Vargas wrote:
> If I'm understanding things correctly, interlaced TV
> Out (via composite or s-video) should be very useful,
> but ONLY IF:
> * your video-out mode isn't scaled. If you use 800x600
> for TV-out, you're scaling up from 640x480 and it's
> likely that the fields are being affected by that
> scaling, even if the resulting output is interlaced
> (as is required by the TV)

I have found that it actually has nothing to with scaling.  Nothing
within a frame has to "line-up".  To get the best video you must extract
the two fields from each interlaced frame and play them back at TWICE to
original rate.  Additionally you must adhere to VSYNC or else you will
get tearing.

I got the above setup working with MPlayer.  It looked so very sweet.
Check out the thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/75514?do=post_view_threaded#75514

Mike.