[mythtv-users] Yet another noobie sanity check ;-)

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 10:07:30 EDT 2004

By way of explanation, my dad is an electrical engineer, and he's instilled
the urge to keep all my systems as cool as possible. I used to be worried
that my P3 1GHz ran at over 25 degrees...

I'm sure that CPU's don't mind that much, but I've seen a fair few HD's die
from heat exhaustion, or so I was told. The controller chips on some brands
(Fujitsu and Maxtor were some affected models a while back IIRC) seem very
sensitive to heat.

Perhaps my first proper hardware mod can be to replace the boiler with a
watercooling system on my PC's. If only more central heating systems were
so efficient and mod-friendly...

My main desktop (2800 barton) runs at about 40, but it's got a sink on it
with the surface area of Delaware with a case temp of about 35 (too many
damned hard drives and optical drives in this thing). My Myth box with a
2400 on it runs at about 40. Hard drives and GFX cards are probably the
biggest heat pumpers in my setups, not to mention the PVR-250 when it gets
going...