[mythtv-users] SN41G2 sound nightmares

Wouter Lagerweij wouter at lagerweij.com
Mon Jul 5 11:17:20 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 15:34 +0100, Ian Wells wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 02:39:53PM +0200, Wouter Lagerweij wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 13:05 +0100, Ian Wells wrote:
> > > 1. I can't get the line in socket to work.  In fact, the only input socket I
> > > *can* get to work is the front mic socket (alsamixer set to capture Mic, mic
> > > input to (from memory) mic2).  I suspect that the rear Mic and line in sockets,
> > > which are dual-use, are set as auxiliary surround channel outputs, and ALSA
> > > isn't managing to switch them to inputs despite me twiddling the relevant
> > > settings in alsamixer.  Anyone succeeded in getting the line in to work?  I
> > > managed it in Windows, I'm sure...
> >
> > If this is the case (and I've had that same problem...): I just started
> > Gnome-ALSA-mixer, which gave me a whole list of options that can be
> > (de-)selected. One of those options was (paraphrased, I'm at work) 'use
> > line-in as line-out for the back speakers'. Deselecting that one will
> > help. (don't forget to save the setting using alsactl, or you'll have to
> > do it again after a reboot)
>
> Yes, I've tried this (although in alsamixer, I don't see that that would make
> any difference) but to no effect.  I knew the socket was dual-use, because
> there's the same choice in Windows.
>
> When you say "will help" do you mean you've got it working that way, or just
> that you'd expect it to be necessary?  (In which case, I agree, but it doesn't
> seem to be helping.)  If you have actually got the thing working, can I have
> a copy of the output of running 'amixer'?

I got the Line-in working correctly that way on a different nforce2
mainboard. I'm still having trouble getting Myth to actually record the
sound (error messages reading "only read -1 from 4096 bytes from '/dev/
sound/dsp'"), but that's a different matter that I'm afraid I'll bother
this list with soon:-)

I'll c'n'p the output of amixer below. The entries you should pay
attention to are 'Line-In As Surround', or 'Mic As Center/LFE',
depending on which connection you use.

HTH

Wouter

amixer output:

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 22 [71%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 22 [71%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 20 [65%] [on]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Center',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 15
  Mono: 10 [67%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Depth',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 15
  Mono: 10 [67%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Switch',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 17 [55%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 17 [55%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround Down Mix',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Center',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 19 [61%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Center/LFE Down Mix',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 19 [61%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [off] Capture [on]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [off] Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'Line-In As Surround',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 19 [61%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 19 [61%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 15 [48%] [on]
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic As Center/LFE',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Select',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 17 [55%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 17 [55%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 15 [48%] [on]
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on] Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Input Monitor',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Mono: 1 [33%]
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 15
  Mono: Playback 6 [40%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mono Output Select',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 15
  Front Left: Capture 9 [60%] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 9 [60%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Analog to IEC958 Output',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Duplicate Front',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Exchange Center/LFE',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'External Amplifier',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Swap Surround Slot',0