[mythtv-users] SN41G2 sound nightmares

Ian Wells ijw.mythtv at cack.org.uk
Mon Jul 5 11:49:19 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 05:17:20PM +0200, Wouter Lagerweij wrote:
> I got the Line-in working correctly that way on a different nforce2
> mainboard. I'm still having trouble getting Myth to actually record the
> sound (error messages reading "only read -1 from 4096 bytes from '/dev/
> sound/dsp'"), but that's a different matter that I'm afraid I'll bother
> this list with soon:-)
>
> I'll c'n'p the output of amixer below. The entries you should pay
> attention to are 'Line-In As Surround', or 'Mic As Center/LFE',
> depending on which connection you use.

Ta.  I thought I'd got these sorted right, but I can compare amixer
output directly now, which might reveal that I'm being thick. ;-)
Alternatively, it could simply be that these switches don't work
properly on Shuttle hardware - which would be irritating.  Certainly
when I was twiddling with things last night I wasn't getting anywhere,
and I did try those settings both ways around (and both mic and
line-in sockets).  The final straw will be to get either a PVR250
or a USB sound card, which bypasses the problem quite neatly, but
given that that's another 30-60 quid for a bit of hardware I shouldn't
need, I object to paying it ;-)

--
Ian.