[mythtv-users] Re: Suggestions for Updates to Jarods Guide

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Jul 5 21:57:23 EDT 2004

On Jul 5, 2004, at 17:50, Graham W. Mitchell wrote:

> Well, I’ve had another couple of WD200Gb disks fail

That ain't good...

> so it’s back to Jarods guide and a reinstall…J

:-)

> Ø       rpm -Uvh
> http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/atrpms-kickstart/atrpms-kickstart-20
> -1.rhfc1.at.i386.rpm
>
> Now up to rpm -Uvh
> http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/atrpms-kickstart/atrpms-kickstart-23
> -1.rhfc1.at.i386.rpm
>
> You may want to add something to the effect that if you’re behind a
> non transparent web proxy you’re going to have some issues….. I
> recently installed smoothwall as my firewall, and turned on squid in
> non transparent mode, and apt-get failed until I remembered.

Hm, didn't know that would fail. I run in transparent mode myself, no
problems. I'll see about adding that.

> Ø      you may have to comment out apt.kde-redhat.org and
> kde-redhat.atrpms.net in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> It may be worth moving this above the
>
> Ø       apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> section, so it’s more obvious that it should be done before the
> dist-upgrade.

Nope. That first apt-get update and dist-upgrade are with only the
atrpms-kickstart installed, which means you don't have a fully
populated sources.list yet. At that point in time, it only includes
atrpms and core os stuff (from freshrpms). However, I do need to
clarify that section, as many people don't make the connection between
that and redhat-artwork failures later on.

> You should also add to do an apt-get install apt before editing the
> line (remembering to rpm –e yum before doing that), as the
> sources.list won’t be updated until that point (and you obviously
> can’t comment out what’s not there).

Ah, oops, started replying before reading the whole thing...

> And at this point, it’s too late to do a reinstall of FC1, so I am
> heading to bed.. *cough*

Never, ever, reinstall! (Unless you lose a drive). ;-)

> Next day…
>
> OK... One FC1 install later.. remembering to apt-get update, and edit
> out the kde-redhat.org.. J
>
> It might be worth adding to section 3 Initial Software, that if you’re
> planning to use samba, to select the Windows Server as part of the
> installation. Also, if you’re planning to connect to a Windows domain,
> to select the krb5-server utilities (you will also need to add the
> krb5-workstation utilities manually later (I can’t see a way to
> install them at initial install time)).

Not your typical install (the Windows domain stuff), but I'll take that
into consideration. Definitely a good call on the Windows Server stuff.

> Section 7.. The custom kernel is now updated of course..
>
> apt-get install kernel#2.4.22-1.2194.nptl_50.rhfc1.at
> kernel-source#2.4.22-1.2194.nptl_50.rhfc1.at

Actually, 2197 now.

> Section 11..
>
> /bin/dmesg |grep ivtv
>
> You should add a note that if you have multiple cards, you will see
> multiple sets of this

There do seem to be quite a few folks with multi-card systems these
days...

> When you get to the section for doing the test_ioctls
>
>  /usr/bin/test_ioctl -u 0x3000
>
> Should become
>
> /usr/bin/test_ioctl –-device /dev/video0 -u 0x3000

It defaults to /dev/video0, so you really only need that if you have a
second card on video1, but point taken.

> And
>
> cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
>
> needs to be done for every minor number too

The theme here seems to be "more multi-card setup info"...

> Section 13
>
> mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.14/database/mc.sql
>
> needs to become
>
> mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.15.1/database/mc.sql

Haven't got that far yet. Still catching up at work post-office-move...
I'm working on some updates tonight though...

> On a related, but somewhat off topic note, can someone point me
> towards some docs for FC1 on how to set it up automatically with no
> user intervention using a PXE boot?

This applies pretty much equally to FC1 (its what I used, with some of
my own customizations):

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-
guide/ch-diskless.html

--