[mythtv-users] My installation of the new NVidia Drivers requiring a Modprob every boot

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed Jul 7 07:09:37 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 12:13:19AM -0400, Vincent K. Britton wrote:
> I know this isn't a myth problem but it is causing me problems with mythtv. :-)

How nice. Better to ask on a more appropriate forum though.

> I have installed the new drivers and everything works except for the fact that in order for my to startx I have to run "modprobe nvidia-1_0-6106" as root on every boot.  Otherwise I get and error "Fatal server error: no screens found"

The real error is earlier in the log with the (EE) prefix. The error
message you provided gives no information at all.

Anyway, I've found that I had to load the nvidia module manually some
times. With kernel 2.6 it's loaded automatically (by the nvidia XFree86
driver), but my 2.4 setup seems to load it manually during boot.
Mind you I haven't used 2.4 in ages.

So configure your distribution to load the module at boot time. Even if
it's not necessary, it's harmless.

Hamish