[mythtv-users] mplayer won't play transcoded files?

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Wed Jul 7 14:33:17 EDT 2004

mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org <> wrote:
> I've got a bunch of movies that I've recorded off various
> cable channels. I
> wanted to clean up my "Recorded Programs" list, so I copied
> the .nuv files
> to my MythVideo folder, renaming them to <movie_name>.avi in
> the process.
> Then I added them to the MythVideo movie list.
>
> But none of them will play. Mplayer either freezes or drops me back to
> MythVideo. Can mplayer not play myth's mpeg4 transcoded files?
>
> (I can play them in Windows without any problems)

Renaming a .nuv file to .avi doesn't magicaly make it into an .avi file, the
file contents is still the same.

Mplayer has a (probably more than one) mpeg4 codec so it's able to decode
mpeg4 but that doesn't mean it can handle all file formats.

Being able to play the files in windows has nothing to do with being able to
play them from mythtv. And I bet you have installed the windows filters for
mythtv that I wrote.