[mythtv-users] Fast Playback and stuttering in LiveTV

Cotter, Paul M. pcotter at kmzr.com
Thu Jul 8 15:00:37 EDT 2004

Okay - I've read the archives and googled and I can't seem to find a
solution or resolve this myself, so I thought I'd ask.

First my setup:
KnoppMyth R4V4.1
PVR250MCE
Celeron 2.4G
512MB Ram
ATI Radon 9200SE
SB Live 5.1
Albatron PM266APro MB
Seagate 160GB HD

The problem I get is with both playback of TV recordings and with
LiveTV.  With playback of recordings, everything is speeded up.  After
looking at the archives, I thought it could be a problem with the audio
codec sampling rate, so to test that I've set the recording profiles to
record at both 48kHz and 32kHz and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
With LiveTv, it looks like essentially the same problem - it buffers the
recording, then plays everything fast, then pauses to buffer again,
plays fast etc. resulting in a very stuttering picture.
.xsession-errors shows:

2004-07-08 10:24:14 Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
2004-07-08 10:24:14 Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
2004-07-08 10:24:14 Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
2004-07-08 10:24:14 Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
2004-07-08 10:24:16 prebuffering pause

during LiveTV.  I found nothing in dmesg or mythbackend.log to indicate
any problems.  Turning on aggressive soundcard buffering doesn't seem to
work - or at least doesn't affect this particular problem.  I was using
the MB's onboard sound, which was horrible, and the problem improved a
little when I went to the SB Live!.

I'm using the standard line out of the soundcard (not SPDIF).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Paul

Important:
This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information
intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged,
confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing,
copying, disclosure or distribution of this information may be subject to
legal restriction or sanction.  Please notify the sender, by electronic
mail or telephone, of any unintended recipients and delete the original
message without making any copies.