[mythtv-users] CPU power for digital tuners

Tom Walsh tom at openhardware.net
Thu Jul 8 16:07:56 EDT 2004

Dylan Egan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im looking to build a quiet nice digital TV server, currently got 1
> card, 2000+ XP and 512 RAM.
>
> Now if im looking at at least 3 cards, what should my CPU and RAM be
> to match? This is for recording and streaming, no playback on this
> machine. It will only have mythtv running on it, nothing else. Mythweb
> will be running on the other server.
>
> I currently just record normal SDTV, if I were to start HDTV what
> should I be looking at? And is it best to compile XvMC support on an
> FX5200 for HDTV playback? Or is MythTVs HDTV support a bit sloppy at
> the moment? I ran kaxtv and it runs alright, but trying the same
> channel on myth it just is slow.
>
> Dylan.

Just a note on the three cards, I assume you're talking about PVR
(hardware mpeg encoders) style of cards???   If you are, I would caution
you about that.  I attempted to run three PVR-250MCEs with a 2.6.7
kernel, ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck97k and NVIDIA*run.pkg proprietary drivers
for a GeForce4 440MX video card.  It would not work, the nvidia driver /
ivtv driver would collide and the video card would not work properly (X
refused to find usable screens).

I could run two PVR250MCE cards, but not three.  Yes, I did try serveral
nvidia drivers including the "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run" to no
avail.  The problem doesn't seem to appear to be an NVIDIA issue, as I
was able to run three cards in my 2.4.x system.

TomW