[mythtv-users] Commercial DVD software now available for Linux

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Fri Jul 9 17:18:16 EDT 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 22:04, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> Jason Donahue wrote:
> >I've ordered my copy, with the hopes that the DVD software can be launched
> >1) full screen, 2) without the gui controls, and 3) will play happy with
> >myth.
>
> Unless it's compellingly better than Xine, I don't see the point.

Exactly, but see below. They've been announcing commercial DVD software for
what-? three years now ?  This is just too little, (way) too late.
It's like introducing a new version of Wordperfect when we have Openoffice...
So... for end-users this seems like no big deal at all.

However (big HOWEVER)... this IS spectacular news for vendors. Up to now,
vendors couldn't ship DVD software with their distros, at least not with
DeCSS included. Witness the crippled Xine in SuSE, for instance.
But now, they can get a volume discount, get a mass license and distribute
working DVD software with their CD boxes. Good for the Linux vendors, good
for the DVD software makers.
Actually, writing this I'm astonished that it has taken so long for that
software to get available.  This is a win-win situation for all involved, so
why DID it take so long ? Could MS' lobbying be behind this ?
(Yes, I am paranoid but I have reason to be ;-)

Maarten

Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.