[mythtv-users] OT: Keyboard quits responding at run level 5.

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Jul 10 20:45:26 EDT 2004

On Jul 10, 2004, at 16:39, Nowhere wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm just barely beyond novice when it comes to linux. I am having some
> trouble with my newly upgraded distribution.

You forgot to say which distribution that is... I know its Fedora Core
1 from the kernel versions you indicate below, but you should make that
more clear. Just a suggestion.

> I used
>
> "apt-get install dist-upgrade"
>
> and it has caused me many troubles (most I have overcome now). First
> remaining problem is, I don't know how to force my system to not boot
> run level 5 for a specific boot session (I want it by default but not
> for this one boot as you will see why in a sec).

Do what Rick suggested.

> So I boot an older
> kernel and the vid drivers force the system to stay in text mode. In
> text mode, I can boot interactively, and I have discovered that once
> gpm
> loads, the keyboard stops responding.

I think you mean gdm. Sounds like maybe you have something configured
incorrectly in /etc/X11/XF86Config.

> If I use the correct kernel for the drivers and let it boot
> non-interactively, the keyboard stops responding as soon as X starts
> (init 5), so I cannot enter the "y's" and "n's" required to boot
> interactively and thus it is NOT gpm as it hasn't loaded yet.

Nope, its X.

> This has only started since I upgraded to kernel 2197 from what I was
> running (2174). But like I said I did a dist-upgrade so I'm not sure
> what all was upgraded but it was a lot.

Note that you have to manually upgrade your custom (ATrpms) kernel
modules when you upgrade the kernel...

> Also, my remote no longer works in mythfrontend native or in the couple
> of lircexec functions I had setup. Lircd is reported in logs to have
> loaded fine tho.

See previous paragraph. Could be that you don't have all the necessary
bits installed (there are three or four different lirc bits that all
need to be of matching versions, kernel module included).

> So essentially my mythbox seems to record but I can do NOTHING else
> with
> it at this time.
>
> So 2 questions for the community:
> 1. How can I stop run level 5 from init'ing when I boot?

Like Rick said. Hit 'e' at the grub selection screen, tack a space and
the number 3 to the end of the kernel line, hit enter, then 'b', and
you should boot into run-level 3.

> 2. What's up with this keyboard/remote problem?

 From the cli, try running redhat-config-keyboard.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com