[mythtv-users] Looking for a Media PC system

Russ bigrig64 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 11 09:32:22 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I have decided to buy a Digital Media PC system, so the last couple of
weeks I have been trying to learn as much about the subject as I can. I
thought I was going to have to return to Windows to get the job done.
Then I accidently stumbled onto MythTV. It actually appears to do more
than MS's Media edition (cool). You can imagine my excitement when I
realized I can probably do everything I want to do and stay with Linux :-)

My plans are to get my new system in stages. First, get the PC (big
enough to do the the job). Then when that is paid off, I was going to
get a 23' Wide screen LCD tv/monitor (then BenQ FP231W looks great). I
am willing to spend a bit on it but I do not have a bottomless barrel
either. Therefore I need a video card capable of  dealing with
resolutions of 1920x1200.

Anyway, advice, suggestions, warnings, recommendations, all would be
greatly appreciated.

My think-so's so far.

I have narrowed it down to the new HP m1050y series. However, it has an
ATI Radeon video card (the new PCI x16). Probably not a good choice for
Linux eh? The HP m1000y has NVIDIA GeForceFX(TM) 5700/5500/5200.

Anyway, any stuff you can throw my way would be great.

I have been playing with Linux off and on for several years. I finally
made the jump with SuSE 9.0. However, I still consider myself a relative
newbie.

Thanks
Russ