[mythtv-users] Looking for a Media PC system

David myth at dgreaves.com
Sun Jul 11 09:51:04 EDT 2004

Russ wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have decided to buy a Digital Media PC system, so the last couple of
> weeks I have been trying to learn as much about the subject as I can.
> I thought I was going to have to return to Windows to get the job
> done. Then I accidently stumbled onto MythTV. It actually appears to
> do more than MS's Media edition (cool). You can imagine my excitement
> when I realized I can probably do everything I want to do and stay
> with Linux :-)

of course :)

> My plans are to get my new system in stages. First, get the PC (big
> enough to do the the job). Then when that is paid off, I was going to
> get a 23' Wide screen LCD tv/monitor (then BenQ FP231W looks great). I
> am willing to spend a bit on it but I do not have a bottomless barrel
> either. Therefore I need a video card capable of  dealing with
> resolutions of 1920x1200.

Is this going to be a dedicated Myth PC for the lounge? Or a desktop
that you watch the TV on?
You probably don't _need_ very high resolutions unless you are going HDTV.

> Anyway, advice, suggestions, warnings, recommendations, all would be
> greatly appreciated.

One suggestion is to read the archives for the list - this subject comes
up a *lot*.

> My think-so's so far.
>
> I have narrowed it down to the new HP m1050y series. However, it has
> an ATI Radeon video card (the new PCI x16). Probably not a good choice
> for Linux eh? The HP m1000y has NVIDIA GeForceFX(TM) 5700/5500/5200.

There's things to be said for buying a complete PC - they're often good
value and of course you don't need to build them.

There are things to be said for buying bits - you know _exactly_ what
you've got.
The main thing about building your own is that you can make sure that
each and every component is supported.
You can also upgrade bits here and there more easily.
OTOH you have to put it together (pretty easy, especially if you have a
friend who's done it) and you won't get 'shop' support - but if you
install Linux then that's probably out the window anyway :)

David