[mythtv-users] Re: Yet another noobie sanity check ;-)

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sun Jul 11 13:43:27 EDT 2004

Op zondag 11 juli 2004 01:14, schreef Brad:
> I'm also pretty much set on the Shuttle MN32N motherboard, having not
> heard anything bad from anyone here. I wish I could get something
> with onboard tv-out and firewire, but those two options seem to be at
> odds with each other.

I can find no info about the 'MN32N', well two search machine traps are
returned by google. Are you sure that's the name?

> So, is anyone using this particular combination? Any
> suggestions/caveats?  CPU/Heatsinc/fan suggestions? Recommendation on
> a quiet power supply able to drive this setup with 2 PVR250s and up
> to 3 HDs? I was thinking maybe a  "ZALMAN ZM300B-APS 300W POWER
> SUPPLY ACTIVE PFC"

Yes, it's a low noise power supply, I use one in the machine standing next to
me. The PC kind of makes the same amount of noise as my Asus Pundit, which
seems to be a bit broken (noise wise), or everybody else who bought the
Pundit is deaf or something. ;-)

As a CPU fansink I could recommend the GlacialTech SilentBreeze II (20dB) /
III (19dB). For the 'III' they just lumped on a 80mm fan instead of the 70mm
one, on the 'II'.

I wouldn't recommend both if you would want to put it into the open air, like
I do with my Asus Pundit ... put it in a (big-ish) closet. If you really
don't want to hear it, a closet is a simple solution. Or go with a Hush PC or
something similar (there are cheaper clones), that is totaly fanless.

> Anyone offer some advice on a good AGP video card that meets the following?
> - must support TV-out and S-Video
> - must not have a fan (to keep system quiet)
> - supporting DVI as well would be a plus but not required
>   This is only for Myth, so no 3d gaming requirements.

Don't know, but if you search with froogle, like this:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=s-video+dvi+vga&scoring=p&filter=0

You can search for cheapish videocards (and lateron check with other sites if
the cards are available in your country). The only thing you need to look
after is crappy video quality ("{cardname} +review"), and if it's supported
under Linux.

I see a "Sapphire Radeon 7000 32MB DDR AGP4X w/ CRT, TVO, & DVI" as one of the
first cards for example. It 'only' has a DVI-I though (not the digital
DVI-D). I guess this card is supported by ATI now (I'm not sure).

Old Geforce4 MX420 cards should also be fanless, have about the same power as
teh ATI Radeon 7000 (?), and are supported by  the nVidia drivers.

	Henk Poley <><