[mythtv-users] Looking for a Media PC system

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Jul 13 00:46:26 EDT 2004

On Jul 12, 2004, at 20:52, Russ wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:

>> Then you either did something wrong, or you have a hardware problem...
>>
> My very first attempt at Linux (however many years ago) was with Red
> Hat 6.0. Didn't work. Couldn't get it running at all. Tried again with
> Mandrake 5.3. It worked and I played awhile then went back to Win98
> (primarily because some software I was using had no Linux equivalent).
> I then tried Mandrake 6 and used it even longer, but alas, I fell off
> the wagon again.

Much scarier times for Linux back then...

> I then bought this new computer (making sure that it was Linux
> compatible) and bought a 4 distro set (Fedora 1.0/Mandrake 9.2/SuSE
> 9.0/Knoppix Live CD). Fedora stalled on install (Like it's predecessor
> Red Hat).

Dunno what's up there, but I have over 100 machines running Red Hat at
work. And several at home...

> Mandrake installed but was seriously broken.

I like to refer to Mandrake as Red Hat's red-headed step-child...

> At this point I was about to give it up. However, I decided to give
> SuSE a chance (since it came with the set, other than that I never had
> a desire to try it). It installed without a hitch. Everything worked
> out of the box

Whatever works.

> (except sound and that was a minor setting problem - stupid thing was
> defaulted to mute - go figure).

That's ALSA for ya (since fixed in later ALSA releases).

> Even though I set it up with a dual boot to WinXP, I never use XP.
> SuSE was never on my list of distros to try and it is the best one
> I've found yet (My personal opinion).

Its my current favorite on the desktop. But all my servers run Red Hat.

>> (Currently typing this email on my SuSE 9.1 Pro workstation ;-)
>>
> 9.0 but loving it :-)

Now I'm on my Mac OS X machine at home...

> OK, This may be a stupid question, buuut ...

Hey, the stupid question is the only OT part of this email, so it has
value! ;-)

> In order to get this comp to play tv on this monitor, I would need a
> tv tuner card (PVP 250/350). Then it would be routed through my video
> card to my monitor (3.0ghz, 80gig HD, 128 GeForce video card, onboard
> sound that works), is this correct?

Correct.

> If I wanted to pipe it to my TV then I would need to get a video card
> with tv out?

Yes, or an adapter of some sort.

> Also, I have 3 older computers laying around (1 AMD 450 and 2 AMD
> 1ghz). Would these be big enough to work for Myth TV dedicated boxes?

The 450 is probably a tad slow to be of much use (except possibly as a
dedicated backend). The 1GHz machines should be solid enough though. I
get perfect playback on an 800MHz Athlon with a GF4MX.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...