[mythtv-users] MythMusic -how do you organize your music?

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 09:10:15 EDT 2004

I do kinda what you do. My music collection predates Myth by about 3 years.

CD's are grouped by generic genre - Indie, Rock, Drum 'n' Bass,
Electronica, etc etc. Each of these sections is full of artists, and theres
also a "compilation" folder which, er, compilations for that genre go into.

As far as Myth goes, this is mounted from the file server via SMB, and
MythMusic is configured to use the "directory" schema, so I can just select
one or more of my "genre" folders and just play on random whatever genre
I'm wanting to listen to at the time. The directory schema essentially
means that your music appears as if you'd browsed into it through a file
manager.

All 60GB or so worth of tracks have been extensively renamed and retagged
so that they all follow the same filename schema, namely:

/home/share/music/$genre/$artist/$album name/'track number leading zero' -
'$artist' - '$track name' - '$album name'.ext

Boy, did that take a long time to do. Single track things (like dance mixes
taped off the radio) are given a 00 track number.

I've experimented by using hard/soft links so that music can appear in two
places at once, but I found this too confusing :) I do use a symlink though
so that my music videos (in the "Misc" section of my music store) are
visible in the "video" directory on the file server, so that MythVideo can
play them. There's been talk of a feature request to allow MythMusic to
play music videos as visualisations, but I don't know if this is being
actively worked on.

I've never used playlists, cos I usually like my music mixed up when it's
just playing in the background whilst I'm working. If I want to
"experience" an album, I can just turn off random and/or select an
individual album from the playlist, although MythMusic as of 0.15 seems a
bit slower at this.

Possibly not the best way to organise things, but it works for me and the
way I like to play back my music.